Do you have FOMO because all your friends signed up for an upcoming race but it sold out before you could sign up? Did a meeting run over and tank your chances of getting into the Brooklyn half? Was the NYC Marathon lottery cruel to you this year?
Never fear!! As a NYRR-affiliated local running club, CHRC gets a handful of bibs for every sold out club points race. In other words, we got you.
As in all things, we want our bib distributions to be fair, fun, and welcoming for all members.
We think a bib to a sold out race is a great way to say thanks to all of the folks who work so hard to make our club run smoothly (looking at you Run Leaders, Council members, event hosters, etc.). We give active members who contribute regularly to the club first crack at the bibs as a way to acknowledge all of the time and effort they put into helping all of us achieve our personal running goals. (Relatedly: If you want to become a Run Leader, you can learn more about that here. If you want to get more involved in another way, email us at contact AT crownheightsrunning.nyc, and we can chat about opportunities!)
BUT, we also think bibs are for everyone! We want all members to have a shot at getting a bib to a race they wanted to run. So, while we might hold out a couple of bibs for Run Leaders, or give them a couple of extra entries in a full group drawing, we always try to hold a couple of bibs that anyone is eligible to receive. Regardless of who you are, we ask that you only take one club bib per year, so that more of our teammates can have a chance to run a sold out race.
We get bibs for NYRR club points races that sell out. NYRR will contact the club when/if that happens, and then the Council will work together to develop a strategy to distribute the bibs.
We try to have some variety in our bib distributions to keep things fair and interesting. Here are some of the ways we distribute bibs:
- For longer races, we’ll usually put an ask out to Run Leaders, Council members, and club members to see who’s interested. If we have more interested parties than bibs, we’ll do a random drawing.
- For some of our shorter races, we’ll try to be a little more spontaneous and host a raffle at a meet and greet or new member run before the race.
- Sometimes, when we’re feeling really wild, we’ll even do a combo of the above.
New Thing Alert
We feel like we don’t always have a great sense of who might want to run an upcoming race. We usually post on Facebook, but not all of our members have Facebook. So we’ve come up with an idea to help us stay more connected. We made a dedicated email address for bibs. If you’re interested in running a sold out race, shoot us a message at nyrrbibs AT crownheights! That way, we’ll be sure to include you in any drawing processes. This is a new initiative for us, so feedback and suggestions are very welcome!
NYRR sometimes gets extra last minute bibs. We have no idea where they come from, but we will gladly tell all of you about it! Generally, these go on a first-come, first-served basis.
The Fine Print
- The bibs are not free – you will have to pay for the race.
- We ask that members only take one club bib each year to help share the wealth.
- We also ask that members who get a club bib run the race (ideally in club gear) and write about the experience on our blog so other Royals can share in the fun (or misery, depending on how things go).
- You must be affiliated with Crown Heights Running Club through NYRR (you can learn more about doing that here)
- You must be an active member of the club to get a bib. What does active mean? It means you’ve showed up for a CHRC thing – a run, a meet & greet, an online discussion – in the last year. If you’re reading this on our website right now, it’s probably a safe bet you fall in this category.
The Bottom Line
We are always trying to keep our bib giveaways fun, fresh, and fair. If you have feedback or ideas, we want to hear from you!!